07 December 2008

Blustery Day

Well, yesterday afternoon was beautiful and the perfect way for real winter weather to be ushered in. I took a bit of a walk yesterday after lunchtime - just in time for a softly falling snow (well, a dusting really, but for Fredericksburg, anything is quite exciting). Stop one - library to return books and cds and pick up a movie which I had on hold. Then on to various shops to pick up things that my mother had ordered when last in town, a little window shopping for myself, and a Christmas gift for my sister-in-law. Downtown Fredericksburg was bustling, not with shoppers though (much to the storekeepers' disappointment) but with people staking out seats for the big Christmas parade.

I then stopped by the James Monroe Museum for their annual Christmas open house event and saw the new museum displays and people swarming the cookies & hot cider (people love free food!). Then on to Hyperion for a little warming peppermint mocha for my walk home. I didn't stay for the parade (I needed to thaw) but that is definitely on my list for next year. I'm thinking hanging out at the local wine bar and then watching the parade would be fun...

So even though I didn't stay for the parade, it was a lovely afternoon and I loved not having to get in my car to go shopping. Plus, people actually wished me happy holidays when passing them on the sidewalks. It was like I lived in It's a Wonderful Life.

I've been working on decking my halls this weekend and have the tree up but not yet fully decorated. I like to give my cats some time to knock it down a few times and get that out of their systems before I add the breakable ornaments. This afternoon may be the time.

Bundle up and stay warm everyone!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That does sound like a lovely day! How I miss snow ... I think it was 70 degrees here yesterday.

M said...

Thanks for dropping in on Saturday!! Sorry it was so crazy - that initial flood of people when the doors open is always a little scary. At least you got to see the oysters,, though...

T. said...

This sounds like a fantastic day. How I love being able to step out my front door, NOT get into my car, and enjoy where I live!

Anonymous said...

My favorite part of Its A Wonderful Life is the part when George is in the-world-that-would-have-been-if-he-had-never-lived, and he asks the angel where Mary is and Clarence freaks out saying "your not going to like it George!" And the audience is like, oh no! Is she dead? Is she a hooker? What? Oh No. She is a "librarian!!!!" NOOOOOOO. Say it isn’t so. KDM