25 March 2009

buds and blooms

Spring is totally my favorite season. Not just because it is my birthday season (thank you everyone for my happy birthday wishes, by the way), but mostly because of blooms and buds exploding day after day around me. Daffodils, hyacinths, forsythia, cherry and plum trees - they are so fresh and graphic and make me so very happy.

I pulled together an arrangement of pussy willow branches confiscated from my parents (thanks Mom & Dad), and pear tree branches and forsythia from my own backyard. The forsythia was still in bud form when I snipped it, but the blooms exploded the next day - such a bright burst of yellow.

Walking around downtown Fredericksburg this past weekend didn't disappoint - the weather was warm enough to mosey around and the cherry trees were in full bloom all along the streets.

What are your favorite signs of spring?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the little purple crocuses popping up everywhere. And hyacinths. Oh, and tulip trees. I always think of you when I see a big burst of forsythia :) Yeah spring - my favorite season too, although I usually see it through a sneezy haze of allergies...

Mommy, Esq. said...

Husband laughs everytime I say pussy willows. Guys are so dirty. Since it was freezing cold here yesterday hard to remember what Spring is like but I would say my favorite sign is no more snow and the sun going down later.

T. said...

Yes, not leaving work in the dark and the warmer weather (which hopefully will come sooner rather than later) are my favorite parts of spring. I like fall better than spring, but I'll take whatever I can get. I definitely don't take for granted the nice walks I am able to take now, after shuffling around on ice for four months. Hooray spring!

Janet said...

Asparagus, rhubarb, fiddle heads, easter eggs, linen shirts, pale cashmere sweaters, cherry blossoms, picnics, girl scout cookies, and wishing G a happy birthday. There are goodies to come...xo.