18 April 2010

growing: lily of the valley

The girls have made their appearance - the lily of the valley have started popping up. These gloriously-delicate plants are descendants from my great-grandmother's garden by way of my mother's garden. I have them planted in the front garden beds, which are shaded most of the day by a big maple tree that hangs over my front stoop. One day I'd like a rocky, wooded part of the garden where I can let the girls go wild.

Mom-mom, my mother's grandmother, had a great big rambling bungalow with a wide front porch and a beautiful garden in back, meandering down to a little brook. I remember running back and forth over the brook bridge with my cousin during the summertimes we spent there. Whenever I move from this little rental house, these girls are going with me.

4 comments:

Stacey said...

Is that what they are? Krikes! I never even realized I have one of those in my garden until after you posted it. Thanks for furthering my education. I think our season is about 3 weeks ahead of yours :-)

Christine said...

I also LOVE lilies of the valley! My mom always had a little patch of them in a shady spot at the end of our front porch - just for me. Nothing like the smell of freshly blooming LoV :o)

H said...

Lillies of the valley grow like wildfire- their roots are crazy. The good news is that I believe they are easy to root an take, so you'll always have your mom-mom memories wherever you go:) They always make me think of getting up on Mother's Day morning and picking them from our huge flock for my mom

Janet said...

Beautiful! I love lily of the valley. What a wonderful thing to have from your grandmother!