23 September 2008

Are you a fungi?


One of my work colleagues (John) likes to say he's a mushroom. He jokes that it's because he's fed s**t and kept in the dark. But one of our summer interns answered this statement with the declaration: "Because you're a fungi?!" and we never laughed so hard. Ah, the joys of mushrooms.

Well, I finally tried my hand again in the kitchen and do think I had some success this time. In this weekend's farmers market bag I received beautiful wild mushrooms among my other goodies. Now, I don't know about you, but I grew up thinking mushrooms were those awful button mushrooms that are bland white and gummy and squeak when you bite into them. (In Defense of Food would blame this on an industrialization of our food sources - Theresa, can't wait to hear what you think of the book!) Or mushrooms were tasteless, watery, mushy canned versions for use in casseroles, etc. As a result, I didn't like mushrooms. I thought I didn't, that is. Wild, earthy mushrooms? Thumbs up from me. The earthier the better (is that even a term?!).

Wanting to do something a little creative with my mushrooms I concocted a beautiful savory quiche perfect for the fall nip in the air based on the Two-Mushroom Quiche from Vegetariantimes.com. Here's what I ended up doing and it could not have been easier:

1 refrigerated pie crust
2 cups chopped wild mushrooms (stemmed)
1 T olive oil for the pan
2 t fresh rosemary
3 eggs
1 cup milk (I used soymilk since that's what I had on hand)
salt & pepper to taste

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place pie crust in pie pan and bake for approximately 15 minutes until the crust is golden.
2. Meanwhile, chop mushrooms and place in skillet with olive oil and rosemary over medium-low heat. Cook until fragrant and soft (about 15 minutes).
3. Pull pie crust from oven and add mushroom mixture. Beat eggs, milk, salt, and pepper and pour liquid over pie filling.
4. Bake for approximately 30 minutes or until quiche is set and beginning to show golden brown flecks on the surface.
5. Let cool slightly and slice. Serve hot or room temperature (I'll be taking a big slice for lunch today since quiche travels so well). Enjoy!


Now, I still have some gorgeous shiitake mushrooms left - any good ideas for my next culinary feat?

3 comments:

T. said...

This quiche looks awesome. I sadly haven't finished the book yet, I keep getting pulled into other books (just finished American Wife, loved it).

Gretchen said...

Well, I must admit I likely wouldn't be flying through it so quickly if I wasn't listening to it on my commute. I'll have to look out for American Wife.

Almostima said...

sounds yummy!
I'd add some gruyere (and maybe bacon) top.