26 November 2008

Pie

As in years past (okay, I think I've only done it once or twice), I'm baking the pie for my family's Thanksgiving. I grew up with Mrs. Smith baking our pies (while my mother is quite a baker, she never tackled pies - why is that, Mom?). After being guilt-tripped by Martha Stewart on more than one occasion as to how easy it was to make her pie crust plus working with this girl named Dawn from Nebraska who swore that homemade pies were the only way, I've decided to turn my family around. There was that one year that I made a pie and Mom bought a pumpkin pie from Mrs. Smith anyway. I think I guilt-tripped her enough so won't continue that here (but remember that episode of Friends where Monica caters her father's birthday party and her mother stocks the freezers with lasagnas in case...?).

This year's pie will be...a pumpple pie. I'm so excited to try it!

4 comments:

T. said...

You know how I feel about pie, and now I NEED to try the pumple pie! Unfortunately, I already went to the store for my pie supplies, and there is no way that I am going back. Next year, perhaps? You have to let me know how it turns out!

Gretchen said...

What do you do for your pie crust, by the way? Any tips?

T. said...

I am probably not the best person to ask...not a big crust person. My only tip is to roll it really really thin! And always have some of the Pillbury crusts on hand in case of emergency. (that has happened to me on Thanksgiving morning, or late Thanksgiving Eve, too many times).

christine said...

OMG - Pumple pie - that's freakin' genius! Sounds amazing. My mom & sis swear by the traditional Betty Crocker recipe for pie crust that is made with veg oil - if making from scratch. But the preferred method is the Pillsbury kind. Happy baking and happy thanksgiving!