30 August 2009

So much to eat, so little time

Tomatoes, potatoes, squash and zucchini, eggplant, onions, oh my. I've been trying desperately to stay on top of my produce from the farmers' market, and so far have been doing pretty well. Raw tomato sauce is a new favorite of mine - chop up tomatoes, add a splash of olive oil, some salt and pepper, fresh basil and whole cloves of garlic. I let it sit overnight in the fridge, remove the garlic, and then use the sauce throughout the week in sandwiches (my new favorite is hummus, tomato sauce, and fresh mozzarella), on pizzas (with ricotta and more basil), and on/in anything else I can think of.

Fun item of the week for two weeks straight in my CSA bag was edamame. I would come home with pretty much a small tree of soybeans sticking out of my bag. Then it was time to sit on the back porch picking off the pods, a little wash, then a boil for about 12 minutes, and voila - snacks for the week - just added a little tequila lime salt for flavor. Now I just need to learn how to roll my own sushi...

In other news, my next-door neighbor cut down his beautiful hydrangea bush yesterday. I don't know why. I had a moment of silence this morning when I realized that. It makes me a little sad and I only hope it fights back and tries to sprout again next spring.

2 comments:

A. said...

Mmm, edamame is my new favorite vegetable (OK, technically legume, I guess). Boiled with some salt, so yummy, and the easiest side to make, ever. We've even gotten Finn to eat some.

Love your raw tomato sauce for the whole week idea, I may have to steal that. It's always so hard coming up with easy vegetarian sandwiches (that don't get all wilted) to pack for lunches, and so I usually fall back on frozen meals when we don't have left overs. Yours looks great!

T. said...

Yummmmmmmmmmm.....