21 October 2009

Mum's the word

Brrrr...it has been quite chilly and very un-fall-like. I'd almost say that the last week or so was quite wintery. But today it is back to 70+ degrees and the sun is out and I've almost forgotten how it was three days ago when I pulled out my cute Boden plum-colored wool tweed suit for one of my board meetings.

I did buy a mum for my front stoop in a lovely shade of burnt orange that closely resembles the falling maple leaves of the large tree that hovers above my house. I swear I didn't plan that leaf laying itself on the stoop next to the mum for this comparison shot, but hey, I took advantage of it.

The farmers' market was pretty miserable this Saturday with drizzling rain and cold winds. I got some major treats in my bag this week, though - sweet potatoes, jerusalem artichokes, potatoes, turnips, and the yummy mushroom-rosemary soup that is so thick you can pour it on toast for a take on the creamed chipped beef I miss so much from my meat-eating childhood. Definite comfort food. Now I need to decide what to do with all my root vegetables. Perhaps get my sea salt on with a baked version of sweet potato, jerusalem artichoke, and turnip "chips".

3 comments:

M said...

Love your Mum! Its a beautiful color. I need to get something to put on my front stoop...

Anonymous said...

Yum! I've been intimidated by the jerusalem artichoke.

Right now all I have on my front stoop is a bag of diapers... hm.

miss bess said...

Your mums are so cute ... but so is that doormat. (drool)