13 January 2010

from the freezer: spinach, part one

This past summer I tried to freeze or otherwise preserve any vegetables or fruits that I received through the farmers' market and wasn't able to eat fresh. Spinach was one vegetable that I chose to blanch and freeze instead of eating at the time (to be honest, I am not a huge fan of fresh spinach and prefer the more 'bitter' greens like arugula or kale). Anyway, now in the depths of winter I have turned to the freezer.

Spinach, pumpkin, and smoked gouda pizza

Saute one cup frozen spinach with approximately 1 tsp. minced garlic and 1 tsp. dried sage; add in 1/2 cup pumpkin puree (or however much you want to make it sauce-like). Season generously with salt to taste. Top pizza crust with sauce and sprinkle with cubed smoked gouda cheese. Bake in 400 degree oven until crust is crisp (gouda will not melt but will brown lightly), approximately 15-20 minutes.

The result is a creamy, mild dish. A little mild for my taste buds, so perhaps I'll experiment next time with a sharper cheese or add in some more garlic. But I am pretty proud to be putting my stockpiled spinach to good use. I have about four more cups of blanched spinach in the freezer, so we'll see what I come up with for the next batch.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am totally going to make this! I bet roasted pine nuts would be nice on top.

Meredith from PenelopeLovesLists said...

Question: how long had you had the spinach frozen before you used it? I have no idea how long it might last.

Gretchen said...

@almostima - oh, pine nuts sound perfect and would give a little 'nuttiness'

@PLL - I had the spinach in the freezer for about 6 months (blanched it fresh and froze it flat in plastic zip bags) and it tasted so fresh, so I assume it could have been frozen even longer without issue (guess I'll see with the rest of the crop in the freezer).