09 January 2010

winter garden

We awoke to about an inch or two of snow yesterday morning. Not enough to close work, but enough to delay schools around here and to make things look fresh and renewed. A powdery, fluffy snow. It perched itself on tree branches and dusted the garden with a white blanket.

The rosemary bush is of course surviving this winter quite well, although our blizzard did make her droop a bit and the dear girl is still recovering. I went searching for my hellebores yesterday morning and see that they are holding their own. I'm crossing my fingers that these 'lenten roses' are actually going to bloom this January or February. I had no such luck last year and I keep hearing tales of the wonders of these odd-looking yet beautiful bloomers.

The first of the seed catalogs arrived a few days ago. I have spent some time already dreaming of a new vegetable and herb garden for the spring. The thaw can't come soon enough...

3 comments:

Janet said...

Lovely photo! Here's to spring however...and a garden full of seedlings.

Anonymous said...

Surfed into your blog just now and could not help but notice The Historian. It is a fantastic book, I simply could not put it down yet did not want it to end!

Gretchen said...

@Anonymous - I'm slowly getting through it and am loving it!