26 January 2010

soup on my mind

Rainy and cold. Definitely soup weather. On Sunday I made a double batch of split pea soup - some for lunches this week and some for the freezer. Not one for really following directions, here is the basic gist (taking the lead from How to Cook Everything Vegetarian, pp. 118-119).

Double-Batch Split Pea Soup (Vegan/Vegetarian)
4 cups dried split peas
8 cups vegetable broth
4 cups water
1 large yellow onion, diced
celery flakes
salt
pepper
sour cream or yogurt (optional)

Pick over the peas and rinse them well. Add the peas, broth, water, and onion to a large stock pot. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and then turn to low. Cook for 3 hours or until the peas are soft. Add celery flakes (1 T or to taste); salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot, with a dollop of sour cream or yogurt if desired.

I took it to work yesterday for lunch and my coworker commented on how good it smelled (a plus if you share a workspace/kitchen).

Another soup on my mind right now:
Roasted Red Pepper and Tomato Soup

3 comments:

M said...

So, if we get all this snow this weekend, I might just attempt your split pea soup! I love pea soup, and it would be nice to have a big pot of it going on the stove...

Meredith from PenelopeLovesLists said...

This soup looks delicious. I've always wanted to make home made Split Pea Soup, it's one of my favorites.

I'm going to try this. Thanks!

Janet said...

I love split-pea, but it does a number in my system. Gosh, I can smell it now...sigh.