12 March 2010

cleaning out the cupboard: butternut squash & black bean soft tacos

Although I've not been doing much cooking, I have tried my hand at some experiments lately. One of the most successful came from the result of having to do something with the supply of butternut squash I still have laying about the kitchen. Half of a large butternut squash I chopped and roasted and used to top pizza (one of my favorite uses). But with the other half, I decided I needed to branch out a bit.

Butternut Squash & Black Bean Soft Tacos
About 3 cups shredded (I used my box grater) butternut squash

1 can black beans, drained

1 large yellow onion, chopped

About 1 T ground cumin

About 1 t chili powder

Salt & pepper to taste

Corn tortillas

Sour cream/yogurt (optional)


In a large skillet sprayed with cooking spray (or coated with a thin layer of olive oil), saute the onions over medium heat until soft. Add butternut squash and a generous amount of salt; continue until squash is soft. Add cumin, chili powder, and salt & pepper as desired. Add beans and cook until heated through and beans are soft.


In a smaller skillet (or microwave) heat corn tortillas until hot and pliable. Top tortillas with squash mixture and a dollop of sour cream/yogurt.

4 comments:

Christine said...

That sounds delish!

T. said...

Yum yum YUM!! I have corn tortillas to use up and am totally making this!

Anonymous said...

That looks really good!! Love successful kitchen clean outs!

Meredith from PenelopeLovesLists said...

This does sound good.

Do you know, I just figured out that you can peel, chop and microwave a sweet potato in five minutes? I guess I thought I had to boil them.

{I'm an idiot, I know.}

I made a quick peanut sauce (pb, soy sauce, garlic, honey) and put it on that sucker and poof! lunch.