10 October 2011

the decline of mashed potatoes

The windows are open, the washing machine is churning, and I have the new Design Sponge at Home book to page through.  I'm enjoying a personal holiday - a day off from work that I didn't actually officially get - after a long weekend away.  I've already taken a bubble bath and it's not even 2:00pm.

The beau and I took a road trip over the weekend; about 20 hours in the car (him driving except for a short two hours where I provided a nap break) through seven states.  Crazy?  A little.  But definitely worth it to see college girlfriends Theresa and Mommy Esq. and their husbands and children.  Given our foodie interests (and my WPA academic ties), we devoured The Food of a Younger Land on cd during the drive.  Amusing and fascinating, especially one particular Federal Writers Project author's obsession with the decline of mashed potatoes.  Hmmm.  Guess you had to be there.

So today I alternately lounge and tidy the house and just enjoy the day.  The couch is a perfect perch for the above-mentioned lounging and a view of the newly-blooming peace lily.  If I can gather the motivation, perhaps a run this afternoon.  Or perhaps a nap.

1 comment:

L. said...

You two are so delightfully dorky--miss you bunches!