11 October 2011

tales of a reluctant runner


The evenings are getting darker more quickly and the mornings are slow to get going.  I'm finding it difficult to find time for a daylit run before (preferred) or after work.  While the area of the city that I live and run in is not at all what I'd call dangerous, it is a little deserted during those early morning hours when I like getting out there, and I feel a little nervous venturing out without some visibility.  Not that I'll start carrying mace or anything, but aside from wearing bright/reflective clothing, I have been considering getting a runner ID band just so I'll have my name and emergency contact information on me.  You know, in case.  Probably a good idea anyway.

I am definitely a reluctant runner, as I've expressed before, but I'm finding it easier and easier to do more running on my run/walk route.  I used to alternate run and walk between each city block, but now I'll go for longer and longer stretches between my walking spurts.  Today I used MapMyRUN to, well, map my normal morning run/walk route.  1.55 miles.  Nothing too crazy, but provides a good quick sweat and wake-up session.  And something I can now finish in 15 minutes or so.  Not a record-setting pace, but not bad for a reluctant runner, right?  And the key for me is that I still LOVE it!  The beau is more of a runner than I am and is encouraging me to participate in an upcoming race.  He'll be doing a half marathon, but there is an 8k option (about 5 miles) that might be a possibility for me.  If I can get my courage up...

3 comments:

A. said...

I've been having trouble getting outside runs in - it's why we have a treadmill, fortunately, but it's just not the same running indoors. I'm just not really comfortable running when it's dark out.

Do the 8K - you'll be great!! :-)

M said...

I've started walking around the Kenmore neighborhood every evening after work. It was a great idea until the sun started setting earlier - now I feel like have to rush to get home before its dark. You've been talking about doing a race forever! Do it!!

L. said...

Do the race! You'll get a race shirt and everything--think of the bragging rights you'll have! :D