01 July 2012

herbs, packing, and a power outage


I am overrun with herbs right now.  Mint, oregano, basil, sage, and rosemary.  In pink and yellow vintage pots in the kitchen and out in the garden too.  I've not been cooking a whole lot this summer, as we don't have a CSA subscription and I always seem to be on the road somewhere - to Richmond; up to Maryland; to Alexandria.  I am looking forward to the craziness of a long-distance relationship, Grandma moving, and wedding planning settling down.  We were looking for a new rental house, but at this point have scrapped that plan for the current one:  the beau moves into my rental house and we get settled enough to buy a house in less than one year.  Our realtor recommended buying within a year and it just seemed silly to pack and move to another rental just to move again.  I hate moving.

But now comes the fun of packing and moving some of my stuff up into the attic (or donating to local charities).  I have more clothes than I really need/use; my shoes are out of control; and magazines are everywhere.  I am excited for the challenge.  I am extra excited to have the beau living under the same roof.  Just need to get started on the packing (amidst the previously mentioned long-distance relationship, Grandma moving, and wedding planning).

This weekend we had a scheduled family girls' weekend surrounding a bridal luncheon thrown by my future sister-in-law and her aunt.  My mother, sister-in-law, and two of my mother's best friends were coming down to visit, we were going to do the luncheon, go shopping, out to dinner, even to see Magic Mike.  But alas, a scary storm came through on Friday night and knocked out power to my house, the bridal luncheon locale, and the hotel where everyone was staying.  So needless to say, things got a little messed up.  Although the luncheon was still lovely (albeit in another location), travel took twice as long as expected, none of the cute boutiques were open for shopping, and the girls ended up driving home the same night instead of the planned overnight.  A bit of a bummer.

Power is back on at my house now, so I am excited for a little coolness today as I get some household chores done and do some more wedding planning work.  Then it's on the road again this afternoon...

3 comments:

A. said...

Glad your power is back on! Good luck with the household merging and eventual house hunt - how exciting! What a nice excuse to spur cleaning out and reorganization.

H said...

I have so much stuff to get rid of before my merge...way too much stuff !

H said...

I have so much stuff to get rid of before my merge....way too many tshirts :)