15 January 2009

Frozen

Well, the weather is finally cold and staying that way here in central Virginia which makes me want to just stay inside and hibernate. I am not a cold weather person. Could never live in a place where winter is a way of life rather than a passing fancy. Don't get me wrong - I love cashmere scarves and the nip in the air, but I hate driving in the icy mix we tend to get here and I definitely wish for spring before winter has even really gotten underway.

Winter also means fresh veggies and fruits are minimal. There are the "winter" veggies listed here that I do love, but are hard to find from local sources in my generic grocery store. So in the meantime I resort to frozen veggies to tide me over. It is my hope that next winter I'll have my own farmer's market-provided veggies stockpiled in the freezer (the best laid plans...), but in the meantime, Trader Joe's green beans are my friends - I've lately been roasting them on a high temperature in the oven to make green bean fries (except baked really, not fried).

Please send me any great recipes you have utilizing frozen veggies as I'm a little uninspired right now. I'll be here under my afghan waiting for springtime...

3 comments:

T. said...

I am also a huge fan of the TJs green beans!!! I also roasted them in the oven at high temps. Another thing I do with them is to cook on a high temp in a skillet. Just a little bit of olive oil heated, pop in the beans. They cook really quickly this way. And, then when they are nearly done, I toss in some minced garlic, a dash of crushed red pepper, and sometimes slivered almonds (though I use almonds more when I am roasting them).

Anonymous said...

cobblers work just as well with frozen fruits!

Anonymous said...

Hmmm, would a vegetarian stew be good, I wonder? Perhaps with some kind of beans (cannellini?)... I use frozen veggies in my beef stew, but I know you are strictly herbivorous. Well, you've given me something to ponder, in any case!