08 June 2009

Big plans

This weekend was a busy one. I worked an event at the museum where I work; I went grocery shopping; I did laundry; I spent some time with my grandmother. I did not, however, get around to the big project that is facing me:

I'm on a mission. A mission to take back my guest room and actually turn it into a guest room. Not a storage room full of books and magazines and tools and shoes and bags. That's the goal at least. I have the new floor to almost-ceiling bookcases from IKEA. I have started going through papers and magazines, saving things that I find useful and recycling the rest. I have a pile of books to take to the used bookstore. I have a plan to get rid of the big desk (which I never use) and replace it with an enamel-top table I already have and will take up less space.

In July my mother is coming to visit and will be bringing with her the twin bed from my childhood room - I'm going to turn it into a daybed of sorts, sitting it against a wall with extra pillows along the back. I can use the new, clean office when working from home. And that way one guest can even have a private room instead of being stuck in my living room on the sofabed. I have big plans and hope it all works out!

6 comments:

T. said...

This is my kind of project, I just love re-organizing rooms! Hopefully, I can get down there sometime soon for a visit to check out the guest room in person!!

miss bess said...

I'm so excited! Room renovations are so fun. Please take lots of pics. And is that your bike?!!!! Did you buy it secondhand?

Anonymous said...

Tear. I remember nights on that sofabed ...

Mommy, Esq. said...

Sounds great - can you come organize my house. :)

L. said...

I can't wait to see the before and after!

Gretchen said...

Oh, I hope I live up to your expectations everyone! And Bess, the bike is actually my mothers from the 1970s - it needs some work, but it looks super retro.