04 April 2011

bluebird


This weekend was a fun one.  Capped with a lovely dinner and movie with one of my girlfriends.  The newest version of Jane Eyre.  We were chilled by the English gloom of the film, but such a beautiful (although bittersweet) story and period costume/set eye-candy to boot.  Sigh.

Also attended the Sustainable Family Dinner Table event in Beaverdam, Virginia on Saturday - great talks including one by Joel Salatin of Polyface Farms and workshops like one run by  Southern Seed Exposure on seed saving.  I purchased some seed packets - basil, beets, and sugarsnaps - that I plan on direct-sowing as soon as I can get the garden ready.

I'm home with the sniffles today.  Nothing major, but enough that I want to keep my germs from my coworkers.  I was going to do some work remotely, but the server won't connect on my work laptop and so I am resigned to actually taking a sick day.  The backyard neighbor (Steve) just started up the lawnmower and the windows are wide open with a cool breeze blowing in the scent of fresh-cut grass.  One of my favorite smells.  The weather reports call for low 80s today and so I am thinking I may be sick and sniffly as I weed the veggie garden and ready it for planting.

This little bluebird needlework was a flea market find a while back.  I picked it up for $4 already framed and it definitely makes me happy - such a cute little bird sitting on branches of berry/flower clusters.  It just reeks of spring.  And with the birds singing outside the window, it seemed like an appropriate image to share today.

4 comments:

M said...

Sorry to hear about the sniffles! Hope it doesn't get worse! And, I'm very jealous of getting to see Jane Eyre - curses on Fredericksburg's theaters!

L. said...

Hope you're feeling better soon! I hope my little snot monster isn't responsible for getting you sick!

Janet said...

I hope you are feeling better! Love the little bluebird, what a happy find. As for Jane Eyre. LOOOOOVED it! BTW, you will be seeing some of those interiors later this summer. . .

Anonymous said...

Excited about your new seeds! My beets are taking forever! I have beet leaves, but no sign of the bulb yet.