04 September 2012

so far, so good

Table set for breakfast with my parents:  over easy eggs on toast with mimosas & coffee

Over the years I've used this blog for a variety of purposes, from documenting trips and family events to documenting what I picked up at the farmers' market.  As I begin this new phase of my life (that of a "newlywed" in less than one month), I don't know what I'll be moving on to, but in the meantime meal planning is at the forefront of my mind.  I "pin" things to Pinterest for our quick weekday mealtimes, but feel the need to wax poetic a bit right here about the good, bad, and ugly of our weekly menus.

Last week, we had a lentil walnut loaf that knocked my socks off.  And a kale potato gratin that I made all pretty-like in my new tart pan (shower gift from my friend Abby).  On Wednesday night, the peach and tomato pasta we found interesting and it may make one more appearance before summer is over.  Tuesday and Friday turned into quick beans/rice/veg and leftover nights respectively; Saturday and Sunday we had my parents in town so we ate dinners out (although hosted breakfasts in).  So while we didn't follow the plan to the letter, we used what we had and had some pretty nice meals together.

The beau went shopping at the farmers' market on Saturday and purchased the following fresh produce that we'll need to incorporate in this week's meals:  crowder cowpeas (southern peas); kale; parsnips; fresh lettuce mix; one dozen farm eggs.

This week's menu (the beau is working the weekend this week):
Monday:  Tofu, Broccoli, and Cauliflower Masala over Noodles [holdover from last week; just meh]
Tuesday:  Artichoke and Olive Pizza [making the dough in the bread machine; will make enough crust for tonight and to freeze]
Wednesday:  Crowder Peas with Bacon Salt over Cornbread with Chopped Tomatoes [going for a "Southern" night]
Thursday:  Parsnip & Quinoa Burger over Lettuce mix with Citrus-Cumin Dressing
Friday:  Out
Saturday:  Mexican Night - Black Bean & Kale Quesadilla
Sunday:  Breakfast for Dinner - Frittata with leftover Veggies and Potatoes

I'll need to pop by the market at some point for onions, faux cheese (optional), and tortillas in addition to our normal bread, butter, and almond milk supply run.  But I continue to try to challenge myself to cook what we have in the pantry and freezer, adding fresh produce and "dairy" as needed.  So far, so good...

No comments: