13 January 2013

being domestic


There are some days when I am really very good at being domestic.  I get up early, do chores like laundry or dishwasher-unloading, cook something, and all while having music playing in the background and scented candles burning.  And then there are days where all I want to do is watch reruns of whatever Housewives series is playing on Bravo while huddled under an afghan on the sofa.  Today is a mix of one of those days.  Mostly because I can't find anything I want to watch on television.

When I lived alone, lazy days were nothing.  Being married, I now feel the need to err on the side of domesticity.  And when I don't reach domestic goddess status on a day off (especially on a day the hubby is working), I feel guilty.  I always have big plans.  Cakes I can bake.  Soups I can make.  Rooms I can clean.  Stacks I can organize.

Today I have: 1) cleaned up the breakfast dishes (from a breakfast the hubby cooked before work) and 2) unloaded/loaded the dishwasher.  And it is 2:00 in the afternoon.  There is a whole list of things I also need to do today, but instead I sit playing with photo effects on Picasa and catching up on months' worth of blog reading.

I am not a domestic goddess role model today.  Martha would be very disappointed in me.

1 comment:

Ms. Sellers said...

your Bravo comment makes me feel better- as I too figure out the world of cohabitation and domesticity, I can't help but love my times when I can sit and do nothing. And Jay does not appear to be wired the same way :)